20 Shocking Facts About Bananas
A favorite fruit snack for most Americans. Here are 20 Banana Facts!
Interesting Banana Facts: 1-10
1. Bananas are seriously healthy for your heart. In case you are not aware, bananas are very rich in a mineral called potassium. It is an electrolyte that our body requires to keep electrical impulses flowing through the body. Without electrical impulses, our heart will not operate. So, eat bananas for a happy and healthy heart.
2. While on one hand bananas are rich in potassium, they are actually low on sodium content. Is that bad? Not really. High potassium and low sodium content helps to reduce risk of high blood pressure – a potentially deadly cardiovascular disease.
3. Here is a bummer. Bananas are naturally radioactive. The potassium found in bananas is present as potassium-40 isotope. That is a radioactive version of the element. Funny though, this radioactive potassium in bananas do not harm our body.
4. If you are having troubles sleeping, eat bananas. They are rich in vitamin B6 that naturally helps a person to sleep.
5. If your muscles are causing trouble and too stressed out, go for bananas! They have magnesium – a natural muscle relaxant. When muscles relax, body slips into sleeping mode. Happy sleeping!
6. Feeling blue and depressed? Nom nom! Eat bananas. They will help elevate your mood because they are rich in tryptophan. This tryptophan is processed by the body and converted into serotonin – a neurotransmitter that helps to elevate mood. So, get yellow for your blues!
7. Bananas are low on calcium but still good for your bone health (unlike milk which is high on calcium but is super unhealthy for bones). The reason is a bit complex but here is a simple explanation – bananas have fructooligosaccharides. It is actually a carbohydrate that our body cannot digest but it is known for encouraging probiotics that in turn increases the ability of our body to absorb calcium. Additionally, there is magnesium in bananas that also helps to absorb calcium.
8. Okay, carrots are amazing for your eyes but hey, bananas are good too! They have vitamin A in small amounts. Vitamin A improves night vision and maintains normal vision.
9. Not just that, the vitamin A is actually an element found in proteins in our body that is responsible for bringing light straight to our corneas. Moreover, there is a compound present in vitamin A which is responsible for preserving the membranes that sit around our eyes. So remember, bananas for eye health!
10. Got potty issues? Well, in case you are not regular, consider eating bananas because they are really high on fiber and help to regularize your bowel movements.
11. We said that bananas are rich in vitamin B6 that helps to sleep. But did we say that B6 also gives you some protection against diabetes Type II?
12. Getting bulky and fatty? Eat bananas pal! They are sweet and filling and kill the food cravings. You will feel less hungry and you will eat less and save yourself from some fatty trouble.
13. A Swedish study that was conducted back in 2005 gave some really interesting results. It was found that women eating 4-6 bananas every 7 days reduce kidney cancer risk by 50%. Okay! So bananas can help to fight kidney cancer! Get me some bananas now!
14. But hey, eat bananas in moderation. This fruit is rich in potassium and if you managed to eat 43 bananas in a very short period of time, you will experience hyperkalemia symptoms which include irregular heartbeat, temporary paralysis and muscle weakness. We are not making this up.
15. You know what? Banana peels can be eaten. They are rich in B6 and B12 vitamins and also contain potassium and magnesium. But the real threat is that eating the peels without properly washing them can expose you to harmful pesticides.
16. You must have seen a banana tree. But did you know that it is not really a tree? It is actually a tree-like or arborescent perennial herb.
17. Okay, so banana tree is not a tree and it is an herb. So, what the hell is a banana? It is actually a berry.
18. The world’s leading producer of bananas is India. The country produces 23% of all bananas produced worldwide but interestingly enough, most of this production is for domestic usage.
19. Did you know that a bunch of bananas is actually called a hand? Yes, a hand! A single banana in a bunch is known as a finger!
20. A hand is pretty heavy. It can weigh up to 100 pounds and one hand can actually have 400 fingers!
content courtesy of FactsLegend